Big Brother is Watching!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Brother is Watching!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Blog of Ice and Fire Part 1: The Books

I don't know where to start when talking about George Martin's yet-to-be finished series A Song of Ice and Fire.  There are so many different story lines all happening simultaneously and all of the characters are described in great detail.  Put it this way, the soon-to-be seven-book series dwarfs A Tale of Two Cities (another name for the series could be "a tale of too many cities").  Surprisingly, one of the things I like the most about the series is its complexity.  All of the important characters are portrayed in such a way that one can visualize exactly what's gone on for them (except Rickon Stark, but he probably becomes important later).  I didn't need the series Game of Thrones to show me what the characters looked like or what they did.  Actually the show mucks up the plot (to be discussed in next post).  Long story short, I fell in love with the series after the first two or three chapters of A Game of Thrones, book one in the series.

As I mentioned before the complex nature of A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the reasons why I love it so much.  Every time I read a new chapter I'm forced to review it in my head and at the same time figure out how it fits in with the rest of the plot.  Furthermore, it makes me want to try to find out what happens next by looking up the characters online.  That's when I start cursing "A Wiki of Ice and Fire" for its lack of spoiler alerts.  This shows how expansive the books are.  There's a wiki devoted just to the unfinished series.  I know Lord of the Rings is even more involved in its character development, I think A Song of Ice and Fire contains more scenes and more parallel stories.  What's even better about the books is that these plots are interwoven.  Just like in Faulkner's As I lay Dying the chapters are named after the person narrating the story, and there multiple perspectives on a single event.  It was cool to read more books of the same structure because I enjoy that kind of setup.

I should probably try to broach the plot without spoiling it (very hard!) since that is another aspect of the series I like.  To avoid the spoiler alert problem I'll just discuss characters and I won't say if they are living or not (George Martin is the best character killer thus far in my opinion).  If you've been watching the TV series none of this will be new.  My favorite character is Tyrion unsurprisingly (Peter Dinklage is the man!!!!!!).  As the dwarf in the series, no one but prostitutes like him.  I root for him every time I open up my Kindle app on my itouch.  He has the best lines and the best inner thoughts.  One of the only things the show did right was him.  He has everything I want in a title character in that he has substance.  You joke with him, cry with him, and get angry along with him.  Kudos to him for being able to put up with Joffrey (biggest tool ever!!!!!).  Also he has the best japes (I had to use Martin's word for jokes).  That's what keeps my attention going in the show because I want to know what Peter Dinklage will say next as Tyrion Lannister. 

I could go on for longer about the awesomeness of the Imp, but I can't not talk about Lord Eddard Stark (Sean Bean is awesome).  What to say.  Ned Stark is the epitome of honor and truth.  Unlike the devious nature of Varys the eunuch or Petyr Baelish, Ned is a good guy in that most everything he tells his six children is morally correct in terms of the time period ("he who passes the judgement should swing the sword" is a great example).  There is no one quite like Ned because he is loved by many but also is very hardened ("winter is coming" greatest motto ever).

Now onto the devious characters because I have to talk about Varys and Petyr Baelish.  These two members of the King's council are the smartest men in the entire series.  However their practices make them seem like bad guys even though Varys says he does everything he does for the good of the realm.  On the one hand you have Lord Varys the master of whispers who seems to know everything about all of the current happenings in the series.  He comes off as cryptic and all-knowing but some characters believe they have him on their side.  In reality he works for himself which is his greatest characteristic.  He is one of two Jay Gatsbys in the series.  The other is Lord Baelish, or Littlefinger.  An economics wizard and a master negotiator, Littlefinger started from nothing and by his own efforts became one the meanest intelligent characters in A Song of Ice and Fire.  I think its interesting that he makes most of his money through his brothels in King's Landing.  The best part about these two masterminds, however, is the fact that both of them have devised plans to rule the realm indirectly.  Littlefinger needs lands, riches, and an army, and it is unsure what Varys needs to do but clearly he has tricks up his sleeves.

In any case, A Song of Ice and Fire in my opinion is a great series.  It's complex, mind-blowing, and very very addictive.  You will get sucked into it at the very beginning.  If a TV series that doesn't accurately depict the books earned a 9.5/10 on IMDB's ratings, a rating that very few movies can come close to, then it has to be an amazing set of books.  On top of that it's not even finished yet!  Right now I'm starting book four out of the five finished ones and I can't wait to read about what happens next.  In closing, A Song of Ice and Fire is worth reading!                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment